MSD offers a 50 percent rate reduction to qualified low-income, elderly, and disabled customers.
To qualify for the low-income assistance program:
- A customer's total annual income for the previous year must be less than 150% of the most recent Health & Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines, based on the size of household. A family of four, for example, must earn less than $33,525 to qualify.
- Disabled citizens and seniors must earn less than 175% of the most recent HHS poverty guidelines, based on size of household. For example, a single senior must earn less than $19,058 to qualify.
- The table below provides further details.
To qualify, a customer must also:
- Have liquid assets and real estate valued at less than $3,000, excluding their residence. Homeowners who are older than 62 or disabled individuals are not subject to the liquid asset guideline.
- Own and/or reside as a tenant in the property that receives the rate reduction.
- Own or live in a single-family residence or multi-unit property up to six units.
- Complete an application form and submit it to MSD along with:
- Proof of all income sources for all persons living in your home. If you are self-employed, you will need to provide a copy of your most recent federal tax return.
- Proof of the amount(s) of any liquid assets or real estate, excluding your house of residence.
- Medical certification (if disabled), completed by a physician. The certification must include the physician's name, address, telephone number, and ID/control number.
- Proof of age by submitting a copy of a valid government-issued identification (driver's license, state, or military ID).
- Copy of rental/lease agreement that states your responsibility for MSD sewer charges (for tenants only).
- Property owner's notarized statement of tenant residence at the property (for tenants only).
- Once an application is approved, rate reductions begin on the first full month following approval. The rate reduction remains in effect for a period of one year from the date of approval. A renewal application will automatically be sent 60 days prior to expiration date to all applicable customers.
- New applicants with a prior past due balance will need to make payment arrangements with MSD to qualify for the low-income assistance program.
For more information,
please call 1-866-281-5735.
|The 2014 Poverty Guidelines|
|Persons in family
||Annual Income @ 150%
||Annual Income @ 175%|
|For each additional person, add